Sunday, December 13, 2009

Our very rough week.

Wow, have we had a really rough last few days. It all started when I took Landon to the doctor on Wednesday morning and found out he had an ear infection and upper respiratory infection. We were given an antibiotic and a new cold medicine for his cough and congestion. I of course thought this was wonderful as doctors never give out cold medicine. I totally expected to be told to put a humidifier on and let it run its course. So, we got our medicines filled and headed home. We spent the next two days with a very lethargic little boy and one that wouldn't eat at all. I began to think that Landon was having an adverse reaction to this cold medicine as he was having these shaking tremors and a racing heartbeat. On Thursday night he was sleeping on me in the rocker (our assumed position as of late) and he began shaking at his legs and then it moved up his body and lasted for just a few seconds. I thought this could have been a seizure and of course slept with him in his bed the rest of the night. I got up the next morning and read through the medicine info to find out that these reactions were most likely caused from the medicine and I called the dr office immediately. They said they didn't think it was a seizure but that it was probably medicine related but that I could continue to give him the medicine and just monitor him. Yeah right. He hasn't had a drop a that stuff again and he won't. I would rather suffer through stuffiness than encourage a seizure. So, on Friday he seemed a little better but we still didn't go back to school. I wanted him to have a day to recover and their is so much going around right now that it just seemed better to stay home. We ran a few errands and otherwise had a good day until that afternoon.

Chuck and I both had our company Christmas parties on Friday night. We were going to go to Chuck's party first because it was for the whole family and then Brad and Wendy were going to watch our kids so we could go to my party that night. It was about 4:15 in the afternoon and I was getting the kids ready when they started talking about their stockings that were hanging from our mantel. I told Landon that his was the one with the train on it and he went to show Reagan his train. So, he walked over to the stockings pulled on his and brought it down along with the incredibly heavy stocking holder. This holder hit him on his forehead right below his hair line and busted it right open. I grabbed him up and when I pulled his hand away there was blood everywhere. I freaked and Chuck (who was amazingly calm) said get my keys and wallet and lets go. Reagan by this time had run all the way across the room and was crying hysterically. Landon was of course screaming but he calmed down pretty soon after getting in the car. Once we got in the car I realized that Reagan and Landon neither one had shoes on and I had just thrown my flip flops on (apparently none of us could find our shoes). Lets just say we fit in well with the other ER visitors. We had a wonderful doctor and after two stickers and two popsicles (two for both Reagan and Landon) and a newly glued forehead we were leaving. It only took us an hour and fifteen minutes to get glued back together. Landon is perfectly fine now and only complains of his head hurting every now and then. He is beginning to sleep better and hopefully we are on the mend. I am worried to death that he is somehow going to open this wound back up but I have been assured by many people that the glue sticks good. I guess we will see.

Everyone has told me that this most likely won't be our last ER trip with him since he is all boy but I am praying they are wrong. I really don't know how many more trips I can handle. I do not do blood very well and hopefully I won't have to. Thank goodness that Chuck was home when this happened because otherwise I think 911 would have been called- a little over board maybe but what else do you do when you have two kids and one is bleeding like that.

Here's hoping that our next few weeks are uneventful and fun as we start our Christmas festivities.

Landon's new scar. It isn't a great pic of the scar. I will try to get a better one. You will be amused to know that his hair is stuck up like that in the front due to the glue on his head. I am not sure how this will come out of his lovely blonde hair.